The silence when writing (or the lack thereof)

When you write (or blog), do you prefer to have background noise or the peace of silence? I have read where some published authors write with a specific type of music playing in the background, and others prefer the silence and hearing their own internal literary voice.

For me personally I prefer the silence, although I have occasionally been writing with music in the background (whatever is currently on shuffle on my iPod). If it’s raining I like to get my pen and paper and write while listening to it. Other times I have written when there was a power blackout. There was something I found so calming to write without any background noise at all (no fan, tv, light or anything).

Tell me (or share your stories): what’s your preferred writing backdrop noise? Does music help to emphasise your writing mojo, or does it become a distraction?

6 thoughts on “The silence when writing (or the lack thereof)

1. Rod 19/06/2013 / 1:39 am

As strange as it may sound, if I were to write with no sound in the back ground, I wouldn’t get much done. For some reason, background noise helps keep my mind and thoughts centered. I am usually sitting in front of the television with the volume just loud enough to hear. But once finished writing for the day, I don’t remember a single thing about what was on the TV.

• naturegirl015 19/06/2013 / 1:03 pm

Hi Rod. I do understand how sometimes you just need that “something” on in the background to the fill the silence. Thank you for sharing your preferred writing method with me. Do you notice if your writing changes (or tone maybe) depending on what is actually viewing or an advert? I just wondered.

2. Harry M VanHoudnos III 18/06/2013 / 1:54 am

Its a mixed bag for me. Sometimes, if I am working on something that I did years ago, and really need to concentrate, I’ll do it with no music or TV on. But, most of the time, I have one or the other on.

• naturegirl015 18/06/2013 / 6:41 am

Thank you for sharing your preferred method Harry. Keep writing.

• Harry M VanHoudnos III 18/06/2013 / 6:50 am

Oh, I have been. Trying to get the next chapter of Rani’s revenge done, waiting on a book to help out with a Black Ops group that I created for the mega ensemble story/series Code Ragnarok, and trying to help out another author with some role playing. Overall, been VERY busy!

• naturegirl015 18/06/2013 / 4:33 pm

Sounds great. Glad you’re enjoying your writing projects.